In terms of maintenance, asphalt doesn’t require much. Apart from sweeping and hosing your asphalt driveway off when it gets dirty, you can virtually install it and forget it. The one aspect of asphalt maintenance that you can’t forget, though, is sealcoating. Continue reading to learn why sealcoating your asphalt driveway in Philadelphia, PA is so crucial:
- Sun protection: The dark, rich color of asphalt is one of its best attributes, and one of the main reasons why homeowners opt for it over similar materials. Unfortunately, that appearance begins to fade over time due to the sun. Ultraviolet rays break down binders and aggregate in the asphalt, causing the pavement to fade and crumble away. Sealcoating the surface is the best way to prevent that from happening.
- Blocks moisture: Water can be just as damaging to an asphalt driveway, especially in the winter, when it seeps into the surface and then freezes. Heavy rainfall can also wash away the underlying base rock and gravel, causing nasty potholes. Sealcoating helps block a significant amount of that moisture, preventing cracks and other forms of asphalt damage.
- Extends lifespan: Asphalt typically does not last as long as concrete before it needs to be replaced. The best way to extend a driveway’s lifespan is to have it sealcoated. Sealcoating will add years of life to your asphalt driveway, while also giving it a better appearance.
- Prevents repairs: Repairing cracks in asphalt is a rather tedious task, especially because asphalt can develop cracks early and often. The best way to prevent cracking and the subsequent need for repairs is to sealcoat your asphalt.
- Save money: When you take the two bullet points above and put them together, you can save a bundle of money by sealcoating! A longer-lasting driveway won’t need to be replaced as often, and sealcoating is far less expensive than making repairs. So, you’re only hurting yourself and your wallet by not having your driveway sealcoated.
When should your driveway be sealcoated?
The timeframe for sealcoating in Philadelphia, PA varies from driveway to driveway. Depending on exposure to sun and moisture, some driveways might need to be sealcoated more frequently than others. However, most professionals recommend having driveways sealcoated every three to five years. Following that maintenance schedule should be enough to keep your driveway in tip-top shape for as long as you’re in your home.
Is sealcoating a DIY project?
There are plenty of people out there who try to sealcoat their driveways themselves. Unfortunately, many of them don’t do such a great job. Sealant you find at the hardware store is often an inferior product to what the pros use, and homeowners often don’t know the best practices for sealcoating. These two things combined lead to an improperly sealed driveway that won’t last as long or look as nice.
Get your sealcoating estimate today!
Summer weather is ideal for sealcoating in Philadelphia, PA, so call our experts at Philly Concrete & Asphalt Paving, Inc. to get your estimate. Decades of industry experience means we can provide some of the fastest, lowest and most accurate quotes in the city.