Homeowners have quite a few options when installing a driveway. Asphalt, stone pavers and even gravel are popular choices. However, the best option is often concrete. A concrete driveway in Philadelphia, PA offers a number of advantages over other driveway materials. This post will cover a few of the top reasons to go with concrete for your next driveway project:
- Lifetime expense: It’s true that concrete costs a bit more to install than some other driveway materials. However, when you consider the fact that concrete can last up to 60 percent longer than asphalt, and also requires less upkeep, concrete costs less in the long run. We recommend paying a little bit more for your driveway now and reaping the benefits for years to come.
- Maintenance: As we just discussed, concrete doesn’t require very much maintenance. The main thing professionals recommend doing is applying a concrete sealant to prevent moisture from seeping into the surface. In the winter, any moisture that gets into the concrete can freeze, thaw and eventually crack the driveway. A sealant effectively prevents that from happening.
- Curb appeal: A well-kept standard concrete driveway is usually enough to help maintain excellent curb appeal. That said, homeowners can go a step further and upgrade their concrete to take their curb appeal to the next level. Stamped and colored concrete options are becoming more popular across the country, as they give homes a unique and even flashy appearance.
- Resale value: Going along with the point above, a concrete driveway in Philadelphia, PA can improve your home’s resale value and make it more attractive to potential buyers. Many buyers these days are looking for homes with concrete driveways, so set yourself up for success by replacing your current asphalt driveway with concrete.
- Load-bearing capacity: If you park an RV, boat trailer or even a heavy pickup truck in your driveway, we advise choosing concrete over asphalt. Unlike asphalt, concrete is rigid and non-flexible. It can handle heavier loads than asphalt can without chipping or developing cracks.
- Environmental considerations: If you’re trying to be an eco-friendly consumer, concrete is the way to go. Asphalt mix must be heated to at least 200 degrees, which requires a lot of energy, and it must be sealcoated every few years with petroleum products. Concrete doesn’t require either of those things, so it’s less taxing on the environment.
- Versatility: You don’t have to stop with the driveway when you’re working with concrete! Concrete can be used in the yard as a walkway or a patio. If you’re thinking about doing more with concrete than just the driveway, we definitely recommend checking out your colored concrete options.
Call us to install your driveway!
Installing a concrete driveway in Philadelphia, PA is far from being a DIY project. Be sure to hire the experts at Philly Concrete & Asphalt Paving, Inc to tackle the job. We have nearly 25 years of experience working with concrete, so you know you’re in good hands with us. Reach out today to arrange a consultation.